beauty careers,career and employment centre,funding,government of Canada,Skills Link program,spa jobs,wage subsidy,whyte ave,yeg
Beautiful Futures Youth Empowerment Program‘Beautiful Futures’ helps participants overcome barriers to employment and develop skills and attain the work experience needed to participate in Alberta’s beauty industry. The program provides youth ages 15-30 with transferable skills necessary in any labour market, and will help them overcome barriers such as:
- Lack of work history;
- Lack of confidence and self-esteem;
- Lack of transportation;
- Lack of employability skills;
- History of unsuccessful intervention; and
- Other social factors (e.g. family situation)
1. In-classDuring this 1st portion, you will acquire fundamental skills required for any job regardless of industry. However, our goal is to help you gain personal development, life and employment skills, and transferrable skills to take you anywhere you want to go in the beauty industry! Learn more about career laddering in the beauty industry.
2. Skill EnhancementThis portion is completed during in-class time. You will acquire technical skills. You could be certified in Face and Body Waxing, Manicures and Pedicures, Tinting, Lash Extensions, etc. Each intake will focus on different skills. Funding is provided by the Government of Canada for this portion of the program.
3. Paid Work ExperienceDuring this 3rd portion, you will gain skills and work experience in entry-level beauty industry-related jobs. Your work experience will be completed at different salons, spas, medispas, health and wellness centres, and retail outlets throughout the city. Employers in the industry will mentor you to make the best out of your work experience.
NOTE: In some scenarios, the possibility exists to turn the Work Experience into a permanent position, so make sure to impress your employer! Days of the week will vary amongst employers, but remember, weekends are busy days for the beauty industry, so be prepared to commit!
PARTICIPANT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- 15-30 years of age at the time of project intake;
- Must be interested in joining the beauty industry;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have been granted refugee status in Canada;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada; and
- Must be in need of assistance overcoming employment barriers.